Starting a journal club?

Starting a journal club?  

By: Andy Nobes on March 1, 2018, 11:36 a.m.

Hi everyone,

There has been a lot of talk on dgroups about starting online journal clubs.

If you are interested in being a participant in an online journal club, please state your interest in this thread. Please include which institution/country you are from, and your research interest. If you are interested in being a mentor or moderator, please also say so.

It would also be useful to know what you would expect from such a club - do you wish to discuss papers with those in your specific research areas, or something more broad/multidisplinary? What kind of interaction would you be looking for? Live video/skype/Google Hangout? social media? Or just using a forum structure such as this?

If there is enough interest, we will create a special subforum here for such interactions.

Best wishes

Andy Nobes

Forum Administrator

Last edited by: Andy Nobes on March 1, 2018, 11:58 a.m., edited 1 time in total.

Re: Starting a journal club?  

By: Edward Senkondo on March 1, 2018, 12:12 p.m.

I am Edward Senkondo. Professionally I am fisheries research Scientist affiliated with Tanzania Fisheries Research Institute (TAFIRI). My area of expertise is satellite remote sensing applications for marine fisheries. I am very interested to engage in Journal club. I Would like to have paper discussions with scientists from the same areas of interests (marine sciences and fisheries). In the journal club, I can also play a role of moderation (Moderator). I would prefer discussions through video or audio skype conference or any social network platforms.

Last edited by: Edward Senkondo on March 1, 2018, 12:15 p.m., edited 1 time in total.

By: Heribert R. Kaijage on March 1, 2018, 12:29 p.m.

Hi Everyone

I,m a Lecturer in Environmental and Occupational Health particulary in Environmental health practices,  Climate Change Management and Disaster Risk Reduction. Currently working with Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences of Dar es Salaaam, Tanzania in the Department of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences. I would like to have a discussion with scientists particularly interested with climate change management and public health practice. Journal club in climate change management is mostly preffered. I will be a member of related journal club as a scientific contributor

By: John Kojo Ahiakpa on March 1, 2018, 12:49 p.m.

I am interested in the online journal club. I am based in Ghana and my areas of interests are agribusiness development and management, entrepreneurship, horticulture, plant genetics and breeding.

Thank you.

By: Almojtaba Mohammed Hassan Hass on March 2, 2018, 9:48 a.m.

Hello everyone,

My name is Almojtaba Hassabo .A research fellow in Development Studies and Research Institute ,university of Khartoum, Sudan.
My research interest are GIS for economic development, GIS for development planning, GIS for rural livelihoods development planning,and GIS for rural economic development .I would like to discuss papers in my research field with researchers have same field interstate.

We can be contact through Skype,email,and WhatsApp.

Thank you,

By: Odesola Olusegun Timothy on March 2, 2018, 10:06 a.m.

I am interested in the online journal club. I am based in Nigeria. My areas of interests are Operations Research, Strategic Management and Entrepreneurship.

By: Ogunleye Ayodeji Sunday on March 2, 2018, 12:12 p.m.

My name is Ogunleye Ayodeji Sunday, I am an agricultural economist by profession. I am a lecturer in the same Department at Obafemi Awolowo University, Nigeria. I will like to be a member of the journal club online.

Many thanks.

By: Shenge Juliet Adamma on March 2, 2018, 12:13 p.m.

Hi Everyone,

I would like to contribute in the area of Virology and Genomics. I am from the University of Ibadan, Nigeria

Thank you.

Juliet . A. Shenge

By: Ubani-Rex Olayinka Adunni on March 2, 2018, 12:28 p.m.

I am Olayinka Ubani-Rex, a PhD student in Ecotoxicology and Pollution Management in the department of Zoology, University of Lagos, Nigeria. My research interests are in the areas of Toxicology of heavy metals, Ecology of fisheries and Molecular Biology of fish. I can perform the role of a moderator. I would like to discuss papers with those  in these areas. I would prefer live video, social media and structure forum like the AuthorAID.

Thank you for creating such a platform

By: Andy Nobes on March 2, 2018, 12:33 p.m.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your responses so far - it's interesting to note your subject areas and ideas. Hopefully we should get a full picture soon of the level fo interest and expertise

Whilst you are here, feel free to ask any general questions about research or publishing in the main forum

http://forums.authoraid.info/forum/authoraid-discussion-1/

Andy

Andy Nobes

Forum Administrator

By: Abraham Eustace on March 2, 2018, 1:01 p.m.

Is there any article which can guide people to create a journal club?

By: Milton Labanda Jaramillo on March 2, 2018, 1:10 p.m.

I am interested in the online journal club. I am based in Ecuador (South America) and my areas of interests are Computer Science , especiallty OpenData and Samrt Cities.

By: Andy Nobes on March 2, 2018, 1:25 p.m.

Hi Abraham,

I copied over our Dgroups discussion here, which had some general advice:

http://forums.authoraid.info/forum/authoraid-discussion-1/topic/ideas-for-starting-a-journal-club-141/

There are some resources which might be useful that I mentioned:

How writing clubs help medical research communication in Sri Lanka and beyond
http://blog.inasp.info/writing-clubs-medical-research-communication-sri-lanka/

If you'd like to set up an online journal club, this article might provide some pointers.
https://cloudfront.escholarship.org/dist/prd/content/qt9q2017nc/qt9q2017nc.pdf

Andy

Andy Nobes

Forum Administrator

By: Ganiyat Tiamiyu on March 2, 2018, 2:12 p.m.

I work with the University of Professional Studies, Acca Library, Ghana. My research interests include Information Literacy and Retrieval, Collection Management, Service Quality and Agriculture. For now, I wish to discuss papers with scientists from the same research area either through video, skype or any other media since one can always subscribe to them.

Kind regards. 

By: Antonio Solis Lima on March 2, 2018, 3:09 p.m.

I am interested in the online journal club. I am based in México and my areas of interests are Innovation, Patents and Triple Helix in developing countries.