Could this be a predatory journal?

Could this be a predatory journal?  

By: Jonathan Akinsola Akinwale on March 4, 2018, 11:05 p.m.

Please! Could 'International Journal of Innovative Approaches in Agricultural Research" (http://ijiaar.penpublishing.net) be a predatory journal? I submitted a manuscript that was accepted within two days. The editor report reads "....before publishing the issue as hard-copy, we kindly ask you to sign the copyright transfer agreement and e-mail it back to ijiaar-editor@penpublishing.net.

I conducted Check Think Submit, used Beall's list of predatory journals/publishers and the journal passed the predatory check. Meanwhile, considering the speed of manuscript acceptance for publication (withing two days) without any form of peer reveiw leaves much to be desired.

Please I need help to be sure if to proceed on using their outfit for my research publication.

Re: Could this be a predatory journal?  

By: Alan Parker on March 5, 2018, 3:43 p.m.

It's no surprise that this journal is not on Beall's list. The first issue was in December 2017! It is not predatory, since it is free. The editors seem to be real people. The one American academic is on Researchgate and looks OK. As you say, acceptance in two days is not a good sign and suggests that it is vanity publishing - anything is accepted. So, withdrawing your paper and looking for a journal with a proper editorial process looks like a good idea.

Alan Parker

AuthorAID Community Moderator

Re: Could this be a predatory journal?  

By: Andy Nobes on March 6, 2018, 8:29 p.m.

I think Alan is right - because there seems to be no publication fee they wouldn't normally be classed as 'predatory' as they are not looking to financially exploit authors, or 'sell' a substandard service.

However, the very quick turnaround suggests that this free service is still a poor one! If you are looking for other journals that do not charge a fee, please take a look at www.doaj.org, or for African journals there is also www.ajol.info.

Andy Nobes

Forum Administrator