The Economist on encouraging African science

The Economist on encouraging African science  

By: Alan Parker on April 7, 2018, 10:15 a.m.

There's an interesting article in this week's Economist: African science

It covers the "Next Einstein Initiative" and the AIMS institutes, neither of which I knew about. It also mentions a new Elsevier journal "Scientific African", which is a welcome initiative, even if some of us try to avoid Elsevier, due to its greedy business model.

Is anyone here involved in these structures? What do you think of them?

Alan Parker

AuthorAID Community Moderator

Re: The Economist on encouraging African science  

By: Richard de Grijs on April 9, 2018, 5:51 a.m.

AIMS is a great initiative, and initially it looked very positive. However, I understand from colleagues in Cape Town that is has been plagued by personnel and leadership issues, so I don't know whether it's back up where it used to be at the present time. If anyone knows, please post your response here.

Richard de Grijs

Community Moderator

Re: The Economist on encouraging African science  

By: Andy Nobes on April 9, 2018, 12:06 p.m.

Hi Alan,

I have heard lots of good things (well, they are mentioned a lot in online conversations) about AIMS and the Next Einstein Initiative, and the 'Scientific African' journal sounds like a bold plan. I have, however seen some critical online comments about this project, particularly around the partnership with Elsevier. I think some people would have preferred more investment in the 500+ existing African journals on www.ajol.info

I'm also very interested to see what the publication charges (APCs) are for the journal. Apparently they will be 'low cost' - I wonder what this means?

Andy

Andy Nobes

Forum Administrator