Which statistical software to learn?

Which statistical software to learn?  

By: Stephen L.Sailo on March 31, 2019, 5:42 p.m.

I am a surgeon and I am going to learn to use statistical software for my research studies. I am going to use Windows laptop. Which statistical software should I learn, preferably free software? Epi Info, R , Open Epi, SPSS etc. Kindly advise. Thank you.

Re: Which statistical software to learn?  

By: Andy Nobes on April 2, 2019, 11:57 a.m.

Hi Stephen,

That's an interesting question. I know that AuthorAID mentor Alan Parker recommends learning R - see his blog post here: https://www.authoraid.info/en/news/details/1277/

Our regular statistician Felix might have some other opinions!

Thanks

Andy

Andy Nobes

Forum Administrator

By: Felix Emeka Anyiam on April 2, 2019, 12:51 p.m.

Dear Stephen,

I will recommend 3 statistical softwares I use regularly: SPSS, R and Epi-Info.

Although Epi-Info is designed by WHO and CDC for Epidemiological studies, it is FREE and great for other uses. R is also FREE although it's not easy to learn initially as it follows a programmable template like learning the Command Line Interphase (CLI) of computer programming. But when mastered, its great and also robust for BigData concepts, just like Python. SPSS is great as it is very robust but not FREE.

Hope this helps.

Felix

By: Stephen L.Sailo on April 2, 2019, 2:41 p.m.

Dear Andy and Felix, thank you so much . I had some exposure to R but to be honest, I found it difficult. Thanks again, greatly appreciate you both for sharing your thoughts and knowledge.