Why researchers should have an ORCID

Why researchers should have an ORCID  

By: Sioux Cumming on Feb. 16, 2018, 9:47 a.m.

ORCID has just posted a blog by Andrew Dunning (a lecturer in the Faculty of Information, University of Toronto, Canada) which explains in simple terms why researchers should get an ORCID record, how best to set one up, and what they can then do with it. Many researchers obtain an ORCID because a journal might require it, but then they don't actually populate their profile with their research publications. This blog explains why it is useful to do so.

The blog is here https://orcid.org/blog/2018/02/15/create-sustainable-research-portfolio-orcid

Best wishes
Sioux Cumming

Programme Manager, Journals Online
INASP

Re: Why researchers should have an ORCID  

By: Andy Nobes on Feb. 16, 2018, 4:03 p.m.

That's great, thanks for sharing, Sioux yes

Andy Nobes

Forum Administrator

By: Richard de Grijs on Feb. 17, 2018, 9:23 a.m.

This is a great write-up why ORCIDs are useful -- and why they can become much more useful in the future if more researchers, institutions, funders and the like take up the initiative :-) But then, I am biased, as I serve on the ORCID Board as independent researcher... Mind you, we really want researchers to tell us how to make their life easier and how ORCID can facilitate just that!

Richard de Grijs

Community Moderator

By: Mahad Aden Botan on Feb. 17, 2018, 7:05 p.m.

Oh, greate people say great words. I have already one! but the problem is that I really lazy to publish only one article of those many things I write in one of the recognized journals so that I can show my work in my orcid blog.

Cheers,

Mahad

By: Anusha Dimuthu Lanka Wickramas on Feb. 19, 2018, 6:36 a.m.

Nice link. thanks Sioux!

And good to know about Dr. Richard's Contribution in ORCID. i'll come to this topic back!

Regards!!

Anusha D.L.Wickramasinghe

Community Moderator

By: Andy Nobes on Feb. 19, 2018, 11:55 a.m.

Hi Mahad,

Are you saying that you can't add your work to your ORCID profile unless it's published in a recognised journal?

I think you can add any type of publication to your ORCID. For example, I only have one peer-reviewed publication - my other three ORCID entries are from non-peer-reviewed publications/magazines, which I manually added: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-1472-7898 

Andy

Andy Nobes

Forum Administrator

By: Richard de Grijs on Feb. 19, 2018, 1:09 p.m.

Andy is right: you can add any missing publications (including anything not peer reviewed) manually. If you provided your ORCID to your publisher in relation to the peer-review process, an increasing number of publishers will link the published papers to your ORCID (you will be asked for permission first). Although this is the most common waty in which your outputs are linked to your ORCID, you have full control over the process and can add anything you like manually. Enjoy :-)

Richard de Grijs

Community Moderator

By: Ganiyat Tiamiyu on March 2, 2018, 12:27 p.m.

I have really been informed especially regarding manual posting of non-peer review publications to the ORCID profile. Many thanks to you all, Sioux, Andy, Richard.