Discussion: From semi-conscious to strategic paragraphing

Discussion: From semi-conscious to strategic paragraphing  

By: Alejandra Arreola Triana on April 29, 2019, 3:11 p.m.

Hi everyone!

I am back in the office after a well-deserved, two-week-long Easter break. To warm up our discussion, I decided to move towards a topic I am more familiar with, scientific or research writing. I found this recently published paper "From semi-conscious to strategic paragraphing" (available at https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40037-019-0507-4), which I think will be useful for researchers, regardless of their level of experience. 

Join me tomorrow for the discussion!

Alex

Alex Arreola | México

AuthorAID Community Moderator

Re: Discussion: From semi-conscious to strategic paragraphing  

By: Benjamin Akinmoyeje on May 4, 2019, 7:34 p.m.

Hello Alejandra,

Thank you for sharing this article about paragraphing, I have always wondered what the guidelines behind applying paragraphs. In the past, I always thought it must have one main idea or new topic. However this article gave a guide that made it pratical and workable for myresearch writing.

Thank you,

Benjamin

Re: Discussion: From semi-conscious to strategic paragraphing  

By: Alejandra Arreola Triana on May 6, 2019, 6:59 p.m.

Thank you for the comments, Benjamin.

I am sorry it took me so long to post this review; the past couple of weeks were difficult with wirk and personal things going on and taking all of my attention. 

I agree with you, that this paper is very practical. I teach science writing, and for years I have glossed over the topic of paragraphs. My main advice was very basic, have a topic sentence, be coherent, ensure a smooth transition into the next. I liked how the author, Lorelei Lingard, describes the structure of the paragraph (topic/body/token/wrap), and I specially like the "paragraphing pitfalls" one might commit. 

I have seen (and am guilty of) my share of too long, or winding paragraphs that have no clear topic or conclusion, so I will make sure that I review this paper carefully and will use it to inform my classes in the semesters to come!

Alex Arreola | México

AuthorAID Community Moderator

Last edited by: Alejandra Arreola Triana on May 6, 2019, 7:01 p.m., edited 1 time in total.