What should we discuss next?

What topic should we cover for our next discussion¬°?

Science Communication
0%
Science Writing
0%
Science Education
100%
Something else (leave a comment)
0%
Total votes: 1

What should we discuss next?  

By: Alejandra Arreola Triana on March 20, 2019, 4:21 p.m.

Hello!

Nest week, we will discuss our next paper. Please help me decide what to talk about by filling this poll.

If you want to lead a discussion, please let me know!

A

Alex Arreola | México

AuthorAID Community Moderator

Re: What should we discuss next?  

By: Lucian Ngeze on March 23, 2019, 5:22 p.m.

Dear Triana,

Thank you for bringing up a discussion of what to discuss next.

I would suggest we find one more resource in the same line we have had last discussion, so that we can have one more discussion before we can move to the next line of topic discussion.

However, from the last discussion, not many people participated. I have a feeling that, may be the name of the Jornal Club may not  be attracting more people in, or the topics being discussed. Probably for future planning, it would be good to get suggestions from members themselves of the topics they think of and perhaps the name of the Journal Club so that we can attract more people in.

Once that is settled, we can then share in our networks. This way, we can attract a good number of participants and probably, we can think of improving they ways of discussing that is engaging, such as sync sessions.

By: Alejandra Arreola Triana on March 26, 2019, 3:19 p.m.

Hi Lucian, Thank you for your suggestions. What new name should we take so that we can attract more people?

I found this paper, and I am very excited about it! https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25324193

A

Alex Arreola | México

By: Lucian Ngeze on March 29, 2019, 6:43 p.m.

Dear Aljendra,

Thank you for selecting another paper. I will reflect on it and share a few insights over this weekend.smiley

As for the name of the Journal Club, it would be good to hear from other members too. However, I would confine the name to Education and Educational Technologies. The word "Education and Science Communication" shows like we have two broad categories not really connected together, that is" Education" and "Science Communication". This may make the club to miss a good focus on what it deals with.

Again, if we are a group of at least members, we can improve the way of discussions to have some synchronous sessions where we all can come online and discuss at the same time (eg, using Facebook Live, Hangout, Zoom meetings, YouTube Live and many other tools). This can make our club more active.

That is what I had, let us hear what others have to say.

Lucian

By: Benjamin Akinmoyeje on April 9, 2019, 6:39 p.m.

Hello Aljendra and Lucian,

Good day and I hope you are doing great.

Thank you for hosting this group and the idea behind it.

I read the paper and it was with me for about 2 weeks, it's a highly scientific paper and it was a bit challenging for me to summarise. I struggled to finish reading and couldn't get myself to write a summary of it.

I joined this group because I am a new researcher and I need to read alot of academic papers, how can I find that easy to do? Also to write their summaries creatively? My expectation was this group will help to encourage my reading and writing of academic research papers.

My recommendation will be if we can start with easy to read and not so long academic papers, then gradually proceed to more technical papers and then to highly technical, I am confident that we will get more participants.

The article had many views just very limited responses.

It is just my thought and need at this very time. (disclosure: reading and researching a systematic  literature review at the moment)

By: Alejandra Arreola Triana on April 10, 2019, 9:56 p.m.

Hi Benjamin, 

Thank you for your reply. I understand that scientific papers can be difficult to read and to summarize. What I tell my students when we start reading papers is to take things slowly, and not get stressed. I tell them to read the abstract and introduction, and make sure that they can identify the research question or objectives. Then, I tell them to read the discussion and find the answer to that question or objectives, and not to worry about the methods or the quantitative aspects of the results, and to focus on trends and other qualitative aspects. 

There are some basic questions to ask when reading a paper, such as "what did they do?", "What did they find?" and "What does it mean'" and one should leave the paper with the answers to those questions. 

Please let me know how else I can help with this. Also, please join our slack channel: https://join.slack.com/t/authoraidjournalclubs/shared_invite/enQtNjA3NjExMzM5NDE1LWRhMmFlMGI0YTAxNTUzZTdjMjYwZmUzMWMzY2NkMzYwNDkzNGUwYWVlZjkxNWE1YWNmMjExYjQzNTEzNTdmOGU

Thank you

Alex

Alex Arreola | México