Too many requests!

Too many requests!  

By: Rebecca Dewey on June 1, 2020, 3:48 p.m.

Hello author-aiders!

I was so excited to find this website, and to start contributing - it's a beautiful thing!

I have interacted with dozens of separate authors since the start of 2020, and provided substantial amounts of editing assistance to ten authors, sometimes covering multiple different articles with each one! However, now that I've found my feet, I am somewhat getting swamped with new requests. Has anyone found a good way to "triage" authors or articles? How do you make those choices if you don't have time to help everyone?

Thanks all!

Re: Too many requests!  

By: P Merkus on June 5, 2020, 11:56 a.m.

I have noticed that requests come in waves, a few days several, but then many weeks none. I wonder what is the cause of this behaviour.

Also most of the time the requests are very vague and brief. I wonder whether it would be possible for AuthorAid to better force the requests to be pre-structured in more detail. This will most likely make it easier to accept or reject the request for help. I am thinking of information like: how far has the research progressed, what is the concrete help needed, if a written document how long is it, what is the work environment of the requester, what other help has been sollicited, why is there no help from colleagues, etc.

I also noticed that after a mildly critical response several requesters become silent. I have the impression that such requests are not very serious and being entered just for the luck of it. I wonder whether some screening can be done, f.i. being able to rate the requesters on a few criteria.

Cheers, Rob Merkus

Re: Too many requests!  

By: Rebecca Dewey on June 15, 2020, 12:38 p.m.

Thanks for your reply - yes those are interesting insights and good ideas.

Cheers,

Rebecca