POLL: What are your biggest challenges as a women pursuing a career in research and academia?

POLL: What are your biggest challenges as a woman pursuing a career in research and academia? These are some of the challenges we often hear mentioned, and it would be interesting to hear if they resonate with you.

Lack of mentors and peer networks
23.5%
Family obligations and caring responsibilities
29.4%
Lack of supportive institutional policies
8.8%
Challenging working conditions (e.g. long working hours, travel)
14.7%
Stereotypes and bias against women pursuing a career in research and academia
8.8%
Lack of female role models
14.7%
Other (please tell us below)
0%
Total votes: 34

POLL: What are your biggest challenges as a women pursuing a career in research and academia?  

By: Christine Friis Laustsen on Feb. 20, 2018, 3:23 p.m.

Please feel free to post your thoughts and comments below.

Christine Friis Laustsen

Programme Officer - INASP

AuthorAID Community Moderator

Re: POLL: What are your biggest challenges as a women pursuing a career in research and academia?  

By: Chinedu Lilian Mba on Feb. 23, 2018, 9:32 a.m.

Dear Christine, apart from the family obligations/responsibilities, the mentorship issue is another pressing challenge to me as an individual. I really need a committed mentor to help me in my academic challenges.Thanks.

Re: POLL: What are your biggest challenges as a women pursuing a career in research and academia?  

By: Christine Friis Laustsen on Feb. 23, 2018, 12:31 p.m.

Hi Chinedu,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this! In terms of finding a mentor I suggest you indicate on your AuthorAID profile that you are looking for a mentor by ticking the box 'I am interested in finding a mentor' here: http://www.authoraid.info/en/profiles/edit/

You can then search for mentors by using the 'find researcher' function: http://www.authoraid.info/en/mentoring/search/ 

You can also specifically search for mentors offering career mentoring by using the search functions in the left-hand side panel.

I hope this is useful!

Best wishes,

Christine

Christine Friis Laustsen

Programme Officer - INASP

AuthorAID Community Moderator